Re: Different transaction log for database/schema

От Ondrej Chaloupka
Тема Re: Different transaction log for database/schema
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm talking about transaction log for XA/2PC transactions. My tests crash application in some phase of the transaction. After restart I would like check how the recovery proceeded and I would like verify that all the transaction records (I mean info about prepare tx) are gone on DB site.

Nevertheless what I took from discussion so far is that for my use case I need more PostgreSQL installations or to synchronize test runs for not being run in parallel.

Thank you for all reactions
Ondra

---------- Původní zpráva ----------
Od: Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it>
Datum: 23. 7. 2013
Předmět: Re: [GENERAL] Different transaction log for database/schema

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Ondrej Chaloupka <chalda@seznam.cz> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like kindly ask for an advice whether and how the transaction log
> behavior could be configured.
>
> I would like to have possibility to differentiate transaction logs for two
> databases or schema. I would need such configuration for my testing
> environment where I need to run simultaneously different tests using
> transactions. And I need to separate those tests for being sure that they do
> not interfere with each other. I'm using XA transactions in Java.

It is not clear to me to which logs you are referring: the commit logs
or the WALs? Anyway, transaction are numbered in an unique way around
the cluster, and therefore it does not matter on which database you
are going to run the transaction, it will not interfere with other
databases within the same cluster.
I don't get what advantage will give you having logs different for
each database/schema, considering that it is not clear what kind of
maintenance you are going to do on such logs. Can you please better
explain what is your aim and use case?

Luca